Monday, August 5, 2013

Review: Left Drowning by Jessica Park


Left Drowning
By: Jessica Park
 
 
What does it take to rise from life’s depths, swim against the current, and breathe?

Weighted down by the loss of her parents, Blythe McGuire struggles to keep her head above water as she trudges through her last year at Matthews College. Then a chance meeting sends Blythe crashing into something she doesn’t expect—an undeniable attraction to a dark-haired senior named Chris Shepherd, whose past may be even more complicated than her own. As their relationship deepens, Chris pulls Blythe out of the stupor she’s been in since the night a fire took half her family. She begins to heal, and even, haltingly, to love this guy who helps her find new paths to pleasure and self-discovery. But as Blythe moves into calmer waters, she realizes Chris is the one still strangled by his family’s traumatic history. As dark currents threaten to pull him under, Blythe may be the only person who can keep him from drowning.

*This book is intended for mature audiences due to strong language and sexual content.

Note: due to mature content recommended for Ages 17+
 
 
First, I would NOT recommend reading this book while pms'ing. Just not a great start for a book that is already emotionally charged. It definitely heightened all those reactions you would normally expect from a story like this by like, oh i don't know, a million. An all you can eat buffet of chocolate and a never ending flow of alcohol couldn't have softened the blow that is the 70% mark of this book.
 
Speaking of that damn 70% mark.....
 photo tumblr_lv8ti71GSk1qafbqjo3_250_zpsa063c769.gif

 
I had many people tell me to have tissue ready for this point of the book. But I didn't cry. No, my reaction was more along the lines of this....
 photo 49rssuperbowlcrazycoach_zps2e54e10b.gif

 photo tumblr_lgdwhnQLa81qaqy32_zpsfe6b44c6.gif
 
I was so pissed, I seriously felt like I had steam coming out of my ears!! How could....why would....but that isn't.... I could not think a coherent thought if my life depended on it at this point. But remember I was in a heightened sense of emotional turmoil. So, by 72% my emotions did a complete 360 and I was more like this....
 photo alicecrying_zps54fa04f7.gif  photo myemotions_zpse4ad4d2e.gif
 
But despite the obvious roller-coaster of craziness I was on while reading this book, I loved every damn minute of it. Call me crazy, but it is those books that gut you emotionally that do it for me. I love it when an author can rip my heart out and slowly give me some of the pieces back while still withholding a huge chunk. And Left Drowning does just that.
 photo image_zps3159d499.jpg
 
Top that with the fact that you get characters you will actually love and this book is perfect. Blythe and Chris will immediately steal your heart. But it isn't only them you will fall in love with. Sabin, Eric, Estelle, Zach and James will all worm their way in as well. This book is about family and how together, you can overcome the worst life has to offer. It is about finding love for yourself, healing those wounds that are not visible from the outside and learning to live.
 
And I can't forget to mention the smexy chemistry between Blythe and Chris. Holy smokes, it was off the charts. I don't want to ruin it for anyone, so I won't say more than that. But damn.....you are going to need a cold shower after a few times with them!
 photo image_zpsa0a68f97.jpg
 
If you are looking for a story that will allow you to walk away with your heart somewhat in tact, Left Drowning is just what you are looking for.
 
 
Amazon

 
 
 
 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment