Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Review: Reason To Breathe (Book One of The Breathing Series) by Rebecca Donovan

 
Reason To Breathe (The Breathing Series #1)
By: Rebecca Donovan
 
 
"No one tried to get involved with me, and I kept to myself. This was the place where everything was supposed to be safe and easy. How could Evan Mathews unravel my constant universe in just one day?"

In the affluent town of Weslyn, Connecticut, where most people worry about what to be seen in and who to be seen with, Emma Thomas would rather not be seen at all. She’s more concerned with feigning perfection—pulling down her sleeves to conceal the bruises, not wanting anyone to know how far from perfect her life truly is. Without expecting it, she finds love. It challenges her to recognize her own worth―at the risk of revealing the terrible secret she’s desperate to hide.

One girl’s story of life-changing love, unspeakable cruelty, and her precarious grasp of hope: Reason to Breathe is the first installment of the acclaimed Breathing Series
 
 

When I read a book, I want to escape reality. I want to the characters to wrap me up in their world so tightly that I won't be able to step away.  I don't think I ever truly had that until I discovered the world of Indie authors. Not saying that published authors can't write a kick ass story. Most of them start out as Indie, so I know they can. But for me, I never knew there was a world outside of those published writers and once I discovered that in fact there was more, I was like a kid in a candy store!!

Lucky for me, the first two Indie authors that I found out about were S.C. Stephens and Rebecca Donovan. What better way to be introduced to this new world of books, right? And talk about two vastly different writing styles and story lines! They were like night and day but absolutely perfect! And just what I needed without even knowing it. 

The first time I read Reason to Breathe a year ago, it blew me away. The intensity that Rebecca Donovan is able to evoke from her readers by simple words on a page is mind blowing. Her writing is..elegant. There truly is no other word I can think of to describe it. She has the power to weave a story that pulls you in and no matter how painful it gets, you are too invested in her characters to walk away until the end.

I can promise you, Emma's story is by far one of the hardest I have ever read. The pain she suffers throughout this book is gut wrenching. There were a couple of times I had to put the book down for a few to compose myself. It definitely is not all unicorns and rainbows. It is heart breaking. But there is some light mixed in there too. And it is those bright spots in Emma's life that make this book shine. They are the things that give you hope that her life may just turn out better than you initially thought. 

So in closing I will say this book is definitely not for the faint at heart as there is physical abuse, but if you can handle that than this is a must read. 
 
QUICK REVIEW -Spoiler Free
4STARS
Genre: YA- Romance

- 'In the balance of Love and loss, it was love that made me struggle to... Breathe.
-Book Quote

I am really at a loss for words with this book.... I found myself breathless at certain points in this book finding my own feelings jumbled in a mass of pain held in my chest.
Reason to Breathe is about a young girl named Emily(Emma). She is a good student at Weslyn High earning straight A's,she is the editor for the Weslyn school paper and plays soccer,basketball and runs track for her school as well. Emma excels at soccer which she hopes to get a scholarship for. Her father is deceased and her mother gave her up because she is ill from the sickness we know as alcoholism.

Emma has been living with her Uncle his wife and their 2 young kids for 4 yrs. She is counting down the day til she leaves knowing they are too. Emma's Best friend is Sara a tall pretty red head. In school Emma keeps to herself and only talks to Sara, but a new boy Evan Matthews comes to school and in just one day everything changes.

I do not want to give away the book so i advise you to read it. It's that good. The only thing i will say is that Emma's home life is bad it is filled with hate. Hatred that i spent a good 55% of the book trying to find reasons for, then i realized you can not rationalize or understand hate. We should never have to understand it... Hate is just wrong. PERIOD.

MY CASTING
 
 photo 23858c71-05cc-4989-ab62-1ee6d32b6d02_zps52b38177.jpg
 
My Ratings
Characters- Lovable,Raw and Honest
Writing Style- Good, Raw and Honest
Plot/Storyline- Excellent
Overall- A MUST READ
Now go forth and read. Then come tell us about it!

 
 
REASON TO BREATHE (Book #1 of The Breathing Series) BUY LINK


BARELY BREATHING (Book #2 of The Breathing Series) BUY LINK

 
Emma leaves Weslyn and everyone in it behind to attend Stanford University, just as she always intended. A shell of her former self, she is not the same girl. She is broken, and the only way that she’ll be whole again is through forgiveness. Emma must find a way to forgive herself and recognize her own worth before she can receive the love she deserves. This final installment will have readers holding their breath until the very last page.

OUT OF BREATH (Book #3 of The Breathing Series) PRE-ORDER LINKS


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment