Friday, March 8, 2013

Review: A Happy Accident by Evan Tyler






4 Hearts

Goodreads SummaryA Story Inspired by Steven Tyler: The first book in a three-part series
It happened by accident, a lottery of events…
In 1988, a blind seven-year-old lay in a hospital room longing for her mother, unaware that eight years earlier a chance encounter occurred that would shape her life.
American musician Bobby Carter moved to Manchester, England with one objective—to become a major player in the postpunk scene of the late Seventies. His quest for stardom steers him in the direction of Kindle Hyrum, whose feistiness is only exceeded by her raw beauty. Though Bobby’s steady pursuit trumps Kindle’s cheeky resistance—sweeping them into present bliss—past secrets, new temptations, and a series of hapless and happy accidents will determine their future...and the future of a blind child.
Set to the lyrical soundtrack of the 60s and 70s, A Happy Accident is a story of love and choice that transcends the ages.
My Thoughts**ARC provided by author for an honest review**
3.5 Stars
I know the whole saying "don't judge a book my its cover" but I am a cover whore, I admit it. So,when the author approached me about reading this book, I was hesitant at first. But I read the summary and then some of the reviews and it piqued my interest enough to give it a shot. Now that I have read it, I am glad I did. I would love to see a cover that better represents the story line (even though apples do have a meaning).
Bobby stole my heart from the beginning. His sweet innocence was captivating. The way he was smitten with Kindle drew you in and made you fall for him.
"Who are you, really?""I don't know, really. But maybe I'll find out when I get to know my other half."
But there were also times when Bobby's laid back demeanor was frustrating. Especially when it came to his cousin Kyle and the flat out rude and racist comments he would make about Kindle. It was difficult to justify his lack of defending her. 
Kindle is brash and sarcastic. But I think it was very much from her upbringing. She had a tough life with a sick mother and absent father. But there is just something about Bobby that gets to her. But she does her best not to let him know it. Kindle is definitely the one who wears the pants in their relationship.
This book follows the first year of Kindle and Bobby's unconventional relationship. They do things a little backwards. But it seems to work for them. Things are up and up, which is to be expected in any relationship. Kindle had a hard time accepting the fact that Bobby really did love her. In a lot of ways I felt she did everything she could to push him away. But his love for her was true until it wasn't. And she was the one who finally made the ultimate sacrifice for love. It was kind of weird how the roles seemed to reverse for them.
There were some issues I had while reading. Like the alternating POV. Usually I am okay with that but they seemed to happen here with no warning, it was confusing at times. All, there were odd glimpses of past and I guess you could say future that didn't seem to fit into the flow of the story. 
Overall, it was a good book. It does end on a cliff hanger with a second book in the works. 









No comments:

Post a Comment